by Jesse Marinoff Reyes ( Jesse Marinoff Reyes Design )
Science Service educational booklet, part of an extensive educational program series, ca. 1967.
Probably provided to schools or libraries for children’s education. Each booklet was profusely illustrated with photographs and illustration—all uncredited (no staff box either per se). The “Science Service” was an amalgam of scientific organizations. According to the Smithsonian:
“Science Service was established in 1920 through the efforts of E. W. Scripps in collaboration with the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the National Academy of Sciences (NAS), and the National Research Council (NRC). In 1919 Scripps had established the American Society for the Dissemination of Science. Unknown to Scripps, the three major scientific organizations were trying to agree on a format and establish a popular science journal. In 1920 Scripps met with representatives of the AAAS, NAS, and NRC in an attempt to pool resources. Out of that meeting came Science Service, a news service designed to popularize science and to disseminate scientific knowledge.”