Glittering with rubies and plumed with pearls, the figures of Saint George and his chalcedonic horse emerge victorious over a writhing green dragon. This is a twenty-one inch high reliquary, inset with precious and semi-precious stones, commissioned by Duke William V of Bavaria, called the Pious, in 1590.
It was designed by his court goldsmith, Hans von Schwanenburg of Utrecht, and executed by Hans Schleich of Munich. Within the pedestal, encrusted with a sapphire-and-enamel Bavarian coat of arms, is a drawer containing bones purporting to be from the arm of Saint George. The reliquary is now in the Treasury of the royal palace in Munich.